Just like humans, pets can have days where they feel a little lethargic and under the weather, but it is the natural instinct of an animal to try and disguise any signs of illness. They do this in the wild as showing weakness leaves them vulnerable to predators and open to attack. Unfortunately, this can make it tricky to determine if your pet is feeling a little unwell or if they are suffering from a more serious illness.
There are a number of symptoms and changes in your pets’ appearance, behavior and physical condition that you can look out for. These include but are not limited to:
- Abnormal vocal noises
- Bloating of the abdomen
- Blood in the stools or urine
- Decreased energy or activity levels
- Diarrhea and/or vomiting
- Discharge from the nose or eyes
- Excessive scratching or licking of the body
- Foul odor from ears, mouth or skin
- Increased shedding or bald patches
- Lumps or tumors
- Persistent hiding
- Reluctance to use stairs
- Straining or an inability to pass urine or stools
Any of the above symptoms should be checked out by a veterinarian within 24/48 hours.
Symptoms that require immediate veterinary treatment include:
- Bloated or hardened abdomen
- Excessive vomiting or diarrhea
- Inability to stand up or urinate
Whilst a sick pet may require inpatient treatment in care in your veterinary surgery for days or even weeks, you will need to continue providing them with care and compassion to aid their recovery when they come home. This can include administering medication, supporting physical rehabilitation, emotional care, and fulfilling any special dietary requirements.
Contact All Pets Clinic at 941-751-1200 to get your furry loved one looked at. Servicing Sarasota, Bradenton and all of Lakewood Ranch.